Yield: 3 layer 9” round cake
For those of you that aren't familiar with Bananas Foster, it’s an awesome dessert, where sliced bananas are cooked in a bubbling pan of dark brown sugar, butter, rum and cinnamon and served over ice cream. I've tried to capture the creamy goodness in my take on this classic dessert (which also tastes great with ice cream J.) This recipe makes a 3 layer cake. As you can see from my picture I only made a 2 layer cake. I added dark chocolate chips to the remaining batter and made banana choc chip cupcakes! Just frost with chocolate frosting and you’re good to go !
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups Cake flour*
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- 1 pkg. of vanilla pudding
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 teaspoon banana extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour 3 (9-inch) cake pans.
- Using an electric mixer, cream butter until fluffy. Add sugar and continue to cream well for 6 to 8 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Slowly add flour and milk alternately to creamed mixture, beginning and ending with flour. Add banana extract and continue to beat until just mixed.
- Divide batter equally among prepared pans
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until done. Cool in pans 5 to 10 minutes. Turn cakes onto a cooling rack.
- Cool completely and spread cake layers with your favorite frosting to make a 3-layer cake.
Caramel Rum Buttercream Frosting
- 2 Cups Salted Butter
- 8 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 Tsp Caramel flavoring (I used Watkins Caramel flavoring .Found at Wal-Mart)
- 1 Tsp Rum flavoring
- 6 oz. Heavy / Whipping cream
- In a mixer, cream butter until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add powdered sugar and continue mixing on low speed until blended.
- Add heavy cream, caramel and rum flavoring, blend on low speed until moistened. )You may add up to 2oz. more of the cream if the frosting is too thick)
Beat at high speed until the frosting is fluffy